What is Ayurveda?
Over 2000 years ago, Indian sages developed Ayurveda. To date Ayurveda is seen as one of the world’s most sophisticated and powerful mind-body health systems. More than merely a system of treating illness, Ayurveda is a both a philosophy and science of life (Ayur = life, Veda = science or knowledge). It offers a system for each individual to understand their body, maintain health and stay vibrant while achieving their full human potential.
The two main guiding principles of Ayurveda are 1) Awareness and 2) Balance. Freedom from illness depends upon expanding our own awareness of our bodies and then constantly working to maintain balance or homeostasis.
Principals Governing Ayurveda
- The mind and the body are intricately connected.
- The mind and body have the ability to heal themselves.
- Treat the whole person- when preparing a treatment plan, all aspects of a person’s being are taken into consideration.
- The Ayurvedic practitioner is a teacher – who empowers you to take responsibility for your own health by teaching self-care.
- Prevention is better than cure – learn how to maintain good health.