What is Biomechanics?
Biomechanics is the area of science that analyses the mechanics of human movement. In other words it explains how and why each human body moves in the way that it does.
Biomechanics also evaluates the interaction between the sports professional or athlete, his or her equipment (tennis racquet or golf club) and the environment.
Biomechanics is traditionally divided into two areas.
1. Kinetics – concerning the forces acting on the body) and;
2. Kinematics – concerning the movements of the body.
How can Biomechanics help you?
Biomechanics is used to enhance physical or sports performance as well as to reduce the risk of injury. It may be used to improve sport performance or resolve issues like epetitive muscle strain, pain or progressive muscle weakness.
What to expect in a BIOMECHANICS CONSULTATION?
- Assessment of your muscle recruitment and loading – i.e. how you use your muscles and distribute weight through your body.
- Analysis of body loading to determine the safest method for performing a particular sport or task. This reduces risk of injury and decreases recovery-time.
- Evaluation and Identification of the optimal technique for enhancing sports performance. This enables your performance to improve.
- Analysis of sport and exercise equipment e.g., shoes, surfaces and racquets.